Each month in our newsletter, CURRENTLY, we list a few of our favorite monthly finds from podcasts to travel inspiration to home goods.
- This pregnancy has prompted us to finally renovate the upstairs sleeping porch on the backside of our 1930s house. It will be office space primarily but I’m also excited to use it for morning yoga and evening reading. This room has three walls of old pulley windows that look out onto the thick wooded acres beyond our backyard and Lucas pulled off the drywall to find the original beadboard in tact on all of the walls. We’re using slightly wider wood slats on the newly vaulted ceiling, simple frosted globe sconces for lighting and we’ll coat it all in fresh white. Take a look at my Pinterest board for this project here.
- A few favorite things for dry winter skin: Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt w/ Coconut Oil for moisturizing evening baths, the new Compagnie de Provence natural shea butter line of hand creams, body balms and hand soaps that is headed to the shop this week (we’ve been obsessing over the feel and subtle fragrance of the creams) and, lastly, the unscented lip balms that Creek Baby came out with (also arriving at the shop later this week!). These hydrating lip balms are made simply of coconut oil, raw shea butter and beeswax and they’re amazing for chapped lips and faces, dry hands, nursing balm, etc.
- It’s been an extremely busy fall and I’ve been looking forward to long, winter evenings at home with our wood stove roaring and lots of quiet lounging. In preparation, I replaced our old thin duvet insert with this one by Peacock Alley, I’ve got my Antwerp cotton quilt from the shop bundled on the sofa, these boiled wool Haflinger slippers on my wishlist, and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott ready and waiting on my bedside table. P.S. Have you heard about the Greta Gerwig film adaptationcoming in 2019??
- I ran out of the face oil I was using at night a few months ago so as a quick solution I added a few drops of frankincense essential oil to some sweet almond oil and now am hooked on the subtle, spicy fragrance as I wind down to go to sleep. I also added some to a gift recently by adding the oil combo to a small glass apothecary bottle from Whole Foods and labeling it "body oil" for clarity. A super easy stocking stuffer or treat to yourself.
- We hosted a party at our house recently and rearranged our living room furniture to accommodate the group. Afterward, we left the furniture in it's new arrangement and even though it may not be the optimal configuration long-term, it is a fun way to use our space and our furniture differently, and it's a free way to give me some new creative energy to play off of as we transition into winter. We've also been using an Antwerp queen coverlet on our couch as the temperatures have dropped and there is nothing cozier.
- I recently came across this remodel feature and as I started reading, discovered it is a house in the Heights neighborhood in Little Rock where I grew up! I love the design choices the owners made in this home - the simplicity, the marriage of vintage + new pieces, and the mixture of high + low throughout. Both interior and exterior.
BONUS: Take a look at this gorgeous Thanksgiving table setting for a little holiday inspiration!